Friday, February 19, 2010

His best friend is a girl... (PS Weekend Sketch Challenge)

BLOGGER'S NOTE: For some reason, some of my scheduled posts for last week didn't post to my blog. Hmmm... very strange. So, this is from last week's sketch challenge at Practical Scrappers. It's a little late to play along with this sketch, but there's going to be another great sketch posted on their site Friday evening, so check it out!!!

My son's best friend has always been a girl. We met Maddi's parents in Lamaze class nearly 11 years ago, and they've grown up together. They were ring bearer and flower girl in a friend's wedding when they were almost 2, have celebrated birthdays and baptisms, gone off to summer camp and shared vacations and barbecues, and they tell each other everything. I'm so glad that he's got such an awesome relationship with such a special girl - and that I know she comes from a great family, too.

This fall I took Andrew and Sophia and their best friends (Soph's best friend is Maddi's sister) for a fun day out, and we stopped along the side of the road to experience the Colorado colors. I've been searching for the perfect papers to use for these photos, because they were so bright and colorful, and most of all - no fake smiles! I finally stumbled upon some old MAMBI papers that I had decided to use when I received this weekend's sketch for Practical Scrappers:I decided that I'd take the swirls that were on the patterned paper and cut them all out so I could manipulate them like the sketch suggested. It took a bit of time, but it was so worth it!

I put the swirls onto plain old vanilla cardstock from Close To My Heart, then added my photos and a doodled frame around the main picture. I used Jenni Bowlin rub-ons for the title and for the brown stars, then some red star brads from Making Memories. For the "girl" portion of the title, I used metallic red stickers from the dollar section at Target (hello good deal!) - though yo can't really see it here. Bummer. Oh - and I used another rub-on from Kaiser for the subtitle.


Be sure to post YOUR version of the sketch to Mr. Linky this weekend on the Practical Scrappers site. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

No comments: