Thursday, October 8, 2009

Fun with Fabric - AKA Recycled Scrap

Our challenge this week at Frosted Designs was awesome... definitely one of my favorite challenges I've done so far. Our mission was to incorporate at least one piece of fabric into our layout or project. Though I don't so - in fact, not only can I not cut a straight line, but I can't sew one either. I don't have a whole lot of extra fabric on hand, but what I do have is even better.

I happen to be a bit of a pack rat. Additionally, when I see clothes sporting a cute design on them for my kiddos, I wonder if the stains that will inevitably get on the clothes will cover the cute design. I also collect fun tags from my clothes - neat twill and embroidered deals that will one day end up in some project.

Case in point: This is one of Sophia's tees that I bought for her a few years ago. She's long since grown out of it plus its got some nice pen marks from my little artist, but the flowers were so cute I couldn't bear to get rid of it.

After trimming the flowers out with my super-sharp precision scissors, I picked off the weird felty-backing and ran them through my Xyron sticker maker so they were ready to go on my project. Here's the finished look:


Aren't these pictures so funny? This is Andrew and his still BFF from waaaayyy back when they were two. Sweet little monkeys who I'm sure are going to be so mortified that I even have a picture of them kissing... let alone that I've posted it to my blog. This was taken moments before Maddi tried pushing Andrew off the little bridge, so maybe there's the validation. Good times...

Anyhow, back to the layout. Here's a close up:

This layout uses primarily all Close to My Heart items, including papers, inks, metal frame, and letter stamps. There's a piece of Bazzill Just the Edge scallop strip and a swirly stamp from Stampin' Up.
Check out the awesome prize you can win by participating in this week's Frosted Designs challenge by clicking here. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Let's just call you the little creative diva! Love this idea! Way to take this project to the next level!!!! The layout is adorable! Those papers are fab.
Blessings,
Kim xXx

Jamie Lane Designs said...

Great idea...I know it is hard to part with some items and this is such a clever way to incorporate those!