Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sometime's it's OK to raid your hubbys tools for scrapping... really!

It's technique week at Frosted Designs! This week we were instructed to create a layout featuring our favorite technique, so mine features sanding - talk about a great stress reliever!

I must admit, I have been known to raid the hubby's tool box in search of sandpaper from time to time, just for the sake of a good layout. I now have several sanding tools - the Tim Holtz mini grip sander and my Precision Files from Close To My Heart (which are amazing for detailed objects, like chipboard letters or frames or for getting into tiny nooks and crannies like scallop corners); but the rest of the time I stick to plain old sandpaper and even, an emery board! Emery boards (or nail files - whatever) are great for smaller items, like the letters here.


For this layout, I primarily sanded the edges of my papers, but here are some other techniques to try:

* Sanding in different directions across the width of your paper (like up and down then side to side) to create a faux-fabric look

* Sanding in circles across your paper

* Place objects under your paper - like flowers, chipboard elements, stamps, etc., to get a subtle outline of the image

* Sand your embellishments, like I did here, for a fun take on distressing

This layout was created with Close To My Heart papers and a mish-mash of tons of small embellies.

Thanks so much for looking! Be sure to stop by Frosted Designs to check out all of the amazing techniques, tips & tutorials from the talented group, too!

3 comments:

Barb Craft said...

Jessica... there are so many things I love about this LO but I have to say.. love the way you did the circle... using all those different embellishments! Looks fab!!
Barb :)

Anonymous said...

Great layout. I love the sanding. I also love teh circle with the different embellishments and lov ethe colors. Great job!

Cass said...

I too "borrow" my husbands tools! Wire cutters, sand paper, leather punch, pliers, etc! A staycation is always nice!

Check my blog out, I'm a newbie!

http://paperroyalty.blogspot.com/